Friday 22 March 2013

Resin Hates Me


Resin hates me.

I used to think I would never start resin, because I had no idea what the finished pieces would be for! Drilling holes and inserting eye screws can make them charms, but it seems like an awfully complicated process.

One day, I was intrigued by all the glitter (never used to be, I have no idea why) in the resin pieces. The combination of glitter, stickers and glossy plastic just suddenly got me started. What's more, I found a complete tutorial on how to do resin, so I decided to start!

I think I started shortly after Valentine's Day, and I was so happy with my glitter purchase! The endless bottles of shiny powder are so nice to look at! Now, if only I can make beautiful resin pieces with them!

My first few resin trials turned out to be more complicated that I imagined. Putting in the glitter and deciding what colours to put wasn't a piece of cake after all.

Yesterday, I tried it for the 5th time, and I think it was a terrible fail! Last few trials, my resin was relatively well behaved. This time? Not so much! I had warmed up my resin before using it, but by the time I got around to pouring it after preparing my work space, the resin had already gotten cold again and it was SUPER TACKY by the time I poured it into the molds! This never happened before. I guess I have to work with my warm resin right away!

Pouring the glitter was also a disaster. Last few times, I was using mini glitter packs. This time, I decided to try my new tubes of glitter. When I opened them, the tube of glitter was for pouring, and not little holes for sprinkling, if you get what I mean. I tried to sprinkle and ended up pouring a whole clump onto one spot! Yikes.

In a nutshell, I don't think my resin or my glitter was cooperating with me yesterday! I wonder how they will turn out! I also put too much dark pink glitter in the mold with the bear sticker, I wonder if the bear will even show up!

Every resin trial has been a struggle so far. But, I am still fascinated by the pretty glitter creations everybody else makes! I must not give up that easily! I do believe that you get better and things will go more smoothly after some failures and lots of practice!

Wish me luck in future resin trials!

~Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment